Sunday 26 July 2015

Introducing why Zoe from My Mummys World is #PositiveAboutBF

When I was in school, one of my chosen ‘options’ for GCSE was child development, this is when I first began to think about breastfeeding although children were a while off. In my studies I obviously learnt a lot but the positives of breastfeeding were of great interest to me and I instantly knew that was the feeding route I wanted to take.

However it didn’t quite go to plan, I unexpectedly got pregnant with my first whilst young and I was too embarrassed to breastfeed in front of family let alone in public and instantly turned to a bottle. Looking back I really wish I hadn’t of made a decision that way but that’s back then.

When I discovered I was pregnant with my second child, I decided to be less selfish I was living as a single parent and knew I would try this time round. I purchased some bottles just in case but refused to buy any formula as I knew I wouldn’t want to waste and would turn to that – plus shops are 24hours these days.

When my second child arrived, I was asked my intentions to feed and she was placed on my breast. I had no idea what I was doing – the only knowledge I had was that I had learnt at school and college almost 10 years previous. The midwife checked how she was and said we were fine and I continued as that. On day 3 my nipples were really sore and speaking to another midwife we decided her latch may not be right but I continued through the pain as I knew I was doing the right thing. Day 5 I had a lovely support worker come and she really helped us out.

I’ve only been feeding for a short period of time but I already love it. I know how hard it is for some ladies to breastfeed and for some who want to breastfeed but have to make a decision to formula feed.

I’m not here to make those who formula feed feel guilty – I’ve been there. I’m just here to share my story and try and bring a positive outlook to breastfeeding again.


So lets not judge and be #positiveaboutBF

No comments:

Post a Comment

We will do our best to respond to your comment as soon as possible.